Friday, May 22, 2009

Shepherds

We read from Ezekiel 34 at college on Wednesday. It talks about God's anger with the shepherds of Israel who ruled over the sheep harshly. It's a good challenge to a bunch of new ministers. But at the moment I am too afraid that I am going to be a sheep that can't handle the uncaring shepherds!
Not the people immediately around me - they are great. It's the people I don't know, who somehow rule my destiny, that are stressing me.
When is perseverance a virtue and when is it sheer stupidity?
I need to ask these questions - there are glimmers of light. I want to believe. I want it to work out.

4 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

Dear Dr. Hillebrand. Oops, I'm being premature. Another problem is the wolves in the Church when you are the shepherd. Phew. Maybe there's a better word than perseverance? Patience? Gladness?? Fortitiude? Disregard?? "Fortitude" reminds me of "fortified" ... but that's another story!

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Thanks! Somehow I need to see it differently, you are right. You've made me think- and what I think - is not to see this experience as a test of call (which is how it is billed) but as a test of character. What does the Bible say about feeble knees? I think I've got them.

Steven Jones said...

Hi Jen

I hope you are enjoying your time with your family. Cherish those moments. Had a "snot en trane" call with my wife last night - we wish we were you right now!

I asked Bill a similar question the other day. When will our Church wake up and give us some answers? Whose cage can I rattle? His answer: "Patience". Not the answer I wanted to hear, but perhaps the answer I NEEDED to hear.

It will all work out for us in the end. And whether we end up going to SMMS or not, I'm sure that God has a plan. If He called us, He will surely use us wherever we go. Sometimes we just need to convince ourselves...

Vasbyt!

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Good for Bill.