Thursday, May 28, 2009

Synod Comments

I wonder if anyone has romantic or idealised notions of synod? Or does the title of the post just turn you off? I don't find synod as bad as many people do - although it certainly has its moments.
We broke into groups with each group taking a number of resolutions or documents to discuss in order to make suggestions to the resolution committee who will then bring their considerations to the floor of synod. Our discussions were very negative and unconstructive. People are cynical and unwilling to listen to others and many don't understand the issues, but think that they do. They seem to have their own hidden agendas and assume that everyone else does too. I must admit that I find it difficult to discuss something which comes to us with very little background information - such as who submitted or researched the proposal.
But on the other hand, the worship was good, meals were good, timekeeping was good and I didn't feel that time was wasted. And I enjoy meeting people that I see very rarely. I'm starting to recognise more faces from the district.
At some stage they will be reporting and voting on the probationers. I don't know if that will be stressful for us or what. I don't think that there are any unpleasant surprises lurking for me, so I'm not worried. I must just wait and see!

4 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

I don't know about Methodist synods, but I went to a couple of Anglican ones where some people were pushing resolutions for no other reason than to make a media splash the following day, to the detriment of long-term ministry. It was all image and no substance, from people who should have known better.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

I'm new to the synod scene, although I've been actively involved in the Methodist Church for years. I don't think that people are consciously obstructive, they just seem to have an ingrained suspicion of structures. Which is maybe understandable, given our history in SA.

Thomas Scarborough said...

What are you doing to our holy cows? There goes the notion of the bullet-proof leader. Vulnerability? Omigosh. And now synod isn't heaven on earth after all.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

No the holy cows are still there. A whole new realm of them. I have now driven from Port Elizabeth to Plettenberg Bay, determined to do more research on the cow delusion. AND, between PE and Plett the cows were black and white in spite of it being the middle of the day. Oh sorry . . . did you not mean those cows?!