Monday, June 01, 2009

A Good Thing

Something that is going to change the character of my stay in Grahamstown over the next few weeks is the companionship of my son. I brought my youngest child (turning 11 in July) back with me when I returned from Johannesburg. Most of the time since then has been spent at synod, but it has been going well. There was not the slightest complaint (that I heard) of his being on the premises for synod and he was generally warmly welcomed. God is good and people are kind!
He is homeschooled, so schooling is not a problem. But he will be something that forces my mind away from church and theology on a daily basis. I have very much enjoyed having him with me so far! The plan is that he will go back to Johannesburg with the rest of the family when they come to see me in the July holidays.

4 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

A car passed me today with something like this on its number plate: "Grahamstown: Settler City". City? More like LOST city, or settlement! By the way, who wuz Shaw?

Steve Hayes said...

To Thomas:

Barnabas Shaw, pioneer Methodist missionary in the Eastern Cape?

To Jenny:

Do you have any photos, of Synod, your son, churches where you serve?

Who's been home-schooling your son while you've been away?

Not that it's any of my business, mind, I was just curious.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Thomas - I think it was William Shaw. I'll find out and post.
Steve - I've bought a camera and will post some pics!

Steve Hayes said...

You posted a few pics of your Joburg congregation, and it helps to set the scene. I've spent time in Grahamstown, so I can visualise some parts of it, but it would be nice to see the bits you go to.