Thursday, June 11, 2009

Working Rhythms

Part of my struggle to settle in fully here at Grahamstown is due to the rhythm of the working day. I am supposed to be in the office from 9am to 1pm - for quite a while this was the only requirement that my superintendent had of me. These hours just don't work for me! 9am is too late to get going. For the first few months I took the two hours before 9am to work on my Masters and otherwise do my own stuff. This was great, but meant that by 1pm I was more than ready for a break. Finishing at 1 makes the afternoon a bit shorter and evening meetings tend to start at 5.30 or 6pm. Now that the days are getting shorter (winter!), the afternoon seems to vanish into nothing. Now I am getting frustrated because I seem to have no time!
It is an ongoing thing to try to fit my life into this other routine. Of course, I have spent the last 17 years or so doing things in my own time and way. There is a sense in which I have to learn to just fit in!

No comments: