Friday, July 24, 2009

Sexual Immorality

Here's a question that I am really struggling with. The struggle is with what is culture and what is morals. I am generally of the belief that sex is something that should tie two people together for life - if those people are Christians. So recreational sex is out and anything that encourages or leads towards that. But I notice that my Christian Facebook friends who are of a darker complexion than I am, have no problem with pictures that portray - what? Not actual sexual activity, but pretty suggestive pictures. They make comments indicating that they live with a degree of sexual freedom that I consider 'wrong'. Do I have the right to say to them that they are wrong? Is African culture more open to nakedness and talking about sexual activity? Am I just a relict from the Victorian era?
I wouldn't even know how to go about explaining to them if I do decide that I should. The Bible is very against 'sexual immorality'. Does that mean going against the sexual values of the current time? Or is there some absolute standard?

4 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

When I started ministry here, a young woman in the Church wanted to see me. She'd had a child by a married man. She said she wanted to start a new life, and she’d changed the locks -- but he'd broken the door down drunk and forced himself onto her. I was thinking about this when she said: “Don’t look so serious! For us, relationships are a JOKE!” In the past year alone, in our Church, we have dealt with cohabitation, bigamy, homosexuality, adultery, AIDS, and more, and that’s mostly among members. One needs to put aside the typically “European stock” moralistic mindset, and treat this matter-of-factly. At the same time, I see so much tragic damage done through these things that the Bible seems thoroughly vindicated. Another thing about moralism. We had Youth leaders in the 90’s who, every week, taught the Youth morals. One of those Youth died last month of a fever. Another, I am told, may be dying of TB. Another two of the Youth, recently, came to see me with two children, asking me to marry them. Teaching them all morals appeared to achieve nothing. One should have taught them New Life.

Thomas Scarborough said...

Which reminds me, another one was released from jail just this week!

Jenny Hillebrand said...

I suppose along with the failures one must ask if there weren't more successes? Or do you think that the teaching had zero impact? Or negative impact?

Thomas Scarborough said...

At best, mixed impact. I suspect worse. It makes me think of the (fictional) swimming team which was proud that only a few of their number had drowned in competition.