Friday, August 21, 2009

North End Outreach 4

Our 'plunge' is nearly over and we go back to our respective churches this morning. Most of what I have learnt is 'unbloggable' - I can't really talk about it because it might somehow compromise other people involved!
But it has been a very good experience. We spent yesterday morning walking the streets again. My group spoke to a number of people and also visited the soccer stadium offices, a preschool, the department of agriculture and a Catholic church. Not everyone had time for us, but most people were at least polite. It was very interesting.
Last night we had our 'event'. The church wasn't full, but there were a fair number of people and I think that many of them were newcomers. The phase 1 team pulled together so nicely and I was really pleased.
I got the energy to get through the week! God is good. It was a struggle being together 24/7 and without enough sleep, but we made it. I must admit that I think I was the most 'frayed around the edges'.
Tomorrow I have the morning off as there is no funeral for me to do. That will give me a chance to catch by breath. I have a difficult meeting in the afternoon and a service on Sunday morning and then I am on the home stretch for going home next weekend.

3 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

How often do you have funerals then? (my keyboard just skipped the "t" of "then" -- you might have been thinking it was yet another new term for mama umfundisi).

Jenny Hillebrand said...

I have to do a funeral very nearly every Saturday. So does the minister working with me. We often have to find other ministers to help. And that is apart from the ones that are led by local (lay) preachers.
Funerals have the potential to be my biggest area of ministry - churches are full on Saturdays!

Thomas Scarborough said...

That's a good way of looking at it. Thanks so much for your comment over on my blog.