Thursday, October 29, 2009

Television

For a very long time I have watched very little television - where to be honest, very little equals zero. This isn't out of any conviction of any kind, just that I struggle to sit and just watch and I get bored. About 5 years ago I chose to watch some programmes aimed at youth to help with an assignment I was doing for my BTh. As a result of that I decided to watch TV every day that week from 6pm to 10pm. It was a very good exercise -although I was grateful that I had church activities most evenings so I didn't have to watch the full four hours. The biggest problem was my four year old who could not understand that his mother couldn't be interrupted in case she missed something on the screen!
Since then I've had a vague determination to try to watch more television - because I ought to know what everybody else is watching and knowing.
I thought that this year would be an ideal opportunity. I'm away from my kids, I was likely to be bored and lonely. I plugged the TV in, in about August, but couldn't get into it. But I think that my problem has been that I've tried to watch the soapies. I stuck the TV on on Tuesday night and watched the news and a bit of other stuff. Same thing last night. I might be winning!

3 comments:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

Hi Jenny
I too watch very little TV - mainly because I am out most evenings, and when I have a gap I am desperately trying to finish a thesis. However, I have found it very useful to keep in touch with Sewende Laan. Most of my congregation watches this, and it provides a place of connection with them in sermons illustrations etc.

Thomas Scarborough said...

We threw out our TV more than ten years ago. :-) It took a while longer to get SATV off our backs (suing us for watching a non-existent TV). :-(

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Hi Pete
Busy with a thesis and a book too? CHRISTIANITY AND THE COLONISATION OF SOUTH AFRICA: A Documentary History Volume 1, by Charles Villa-Vicencio and Peter Grassow (Pretoria: UNISA Press, 2009) - this must be you? I read a review today.