Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Going on a bus

Our internship group is going off in our Quantum mini-bus this morning - destination unknown. That's ok with me. Something that one does learn in Methodist training is not to expect to know what's happening or to be able to plan in much detail (last year's lessons and this). It doesn't bother me because I don't have to achieve anything. If I am obedient I will win. Simple lesson for training.
I'm not sure that it is helpful, though, for a minister to arrive in a church with this 'oh well, let's do it whenever' attitude if he or she has to work with people who are used to the tight schedules of the business world. Laid back can be cool in a leader or it can be extremely frustrating.
Oh, well - I'll try not to be too damaged by my training!

10 comments:

David Barbour said...

Hi,

That promised cup of coffee!
Sorry, was going to contact you yesterday but landed up with a nasty day.
Only have 2009 yearbook so don't have your current cell number.
What about Thursday 11:30 @ Mug and Bean?
PMB Bloggers Unite!!

Thomas Scarborough said...

Be too damaged? I thought you were trying to limit the damage you did to the others!

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Ah, Thomas, you are ever the optimist, and I am just a little cynical at the moment.
However, the bus trip was fun.

Thomas Scarborough said...

If we look at people, we have to be cynical. If we look at God, never.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

No, I can't be cynical towards God - I don't feel the least inclination towards it (which is an interesting observation). But I do find his ways very confusing at times.

Thomas Scarborough said...

What I mean is, or imply is, that one can't be cynical about people, because one isn't cynical about God. I put it rather starkly, but I thought rather make a point and argue it, or discuss it, than obfuscate it.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Hi Thomas - I'm not getting what you are saying! Are you saying that if we are cynical about people we are actually being cynical about God?

Thomas Scarborough said...

Actually, yes, that is more or less what I am saying. If one has trust in God in spite of every miscreant, the miscreants become inconsequential and cynicism a non-issue. Similarly, if one sees the history of the world as God's activity, one knows that there is nothing to be disappointed in, although many would not share such theology!

Jenny Hillebrand said...

I understand. I am struggling to formulate a theology of the sovereignty of God that really makes sense with Wesleyan theology. Yours almost becomes fatalistic.
But I would agree that cynicism is not a proper Christian attitude.

Thomas Scarborough said...

I would have thought yours becomes fatalistic ...