Thursday, September 16, 2010

Being Profound

Generally my blog attracts more comments if I say something - well, thoughtful or thought-provoking. It would be nice (in some ways) to live in a world of theory, of analysis and criticism. To struggle with ethics and right and wrong and better and best.
In reality, my life consists of bits and pieces. Today I tied myself down and did some admin (boring, force myself!) Now I will go out to Brentwood pre-school and just be 'pastoral'. So ordinary and unromantic.
Yet in this postmodern era (and it is postmodern) the theory only has any life when combined with a recognition of the reality of day to day mundanity (is that a word?)

2 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

According to Princeton's WordNet, mundanity is a word, used interchangeably with mundaneness:

1. the quality or character of being intellectually sophisticated and worldly through cultivation or experience or disillusionment


2. the quality of being commonplace and ordinary

However, it seems that mundanity is not as mundane as mundaneness.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Oh yes, definition 1 applies to 90% of seminarians I should think. It's a sort of survival trait.
But it's definition 2 that I meant in my post!
Thanks.