Friday, April 01, 2011

Called to blog?

I haven't blogged much in the last three weeks. Intentionally, and mostly because I was afraid that I might say things that I really shouldn't say - let's leave it at that! But I have found that while blogging was always a discipline for me - something that I needed to make a point of doing - I miss it. In fact, the compulsion to blog has become something like the compulsion that is in me to preach. It's not a question of wanting to do it or even enjoying it. There is something that will make me preach in spite of how I feel and sometimes in spite of whether I think it is a good idea or not. And certainly in spite of whether I think I am any good at it or not! In the Methodist Church, and no doubt others, we say this is a 'call to preach'. So now if I have the same feeling about blogging, am I 'called to blog'? There are some very interesting ideas there - such as the church possibly training bloggers! Why not?
"The lion has roared- who will not fear?
The Lord has spoken- who can but prophesy?"
Amos 3:8.

6 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

And what would we all do without the entertainment? :-) If anything, I'd broaden the scope of the blog.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Broaden the scope? More on cows do you mean? We did have cows the other day, even here in Pietermaritzburg. Thanks for the encouragement and the thought!

Thomas Scarborough said...

Cows, too! :-) Mirjam used to ask how it all fitted with family life.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

I protect my family quite fiercely on my blog - it's my choice to bare my soul to the world, they don't need to go along with it! But I probably could say a bit more without compromising them . . . let's see!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny I posted a few questions on your 3/22 blog, not sure if you goback and check each page, lol. would love it if you could help me answer them

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Hi - yes it sends me an email whenever a comment is posted!