Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter is Coming


Last Sunday I asked the congregation at Greytown if they could organise a banner to put on the fence for the Easter services. This Sunday I arrived and - there it was!
One lady said it brought tears to her eyes - seeing the banner that used to be there every Easter up again. I hope and pray that this Easter will be a time of resurrection for this little community - but I don't know what their long term prospects are. Methodist ministers are in short supply and cost money.
We had a local preacher from nearby Dalton take the service this morning. There were 36 people (because I was just sitting I could count!) I am starting to know the regulars.
My immediate challenge - to take it easy and not to drown the congregation in my newby enthusiam. To listen and watch carefully to see what Jesus wants to do. To find some pastoral work to do during the week.
God is always good.

6 comments:

Thomas Scarborough said...

Did you remember to count yourself? :-)

Jenny Hillebrand said...

When I got to the end I couldn't remember if I had, but didn't think it worth counting again!
Numbers are silly things anyway, but they do give a sense of what the service was like.

Thomas Scarborough said...

Careful now, you might hurt their feelings (numbers) ...

Jenny Hillebrand said...

They have other uses - like telling if there is enough money to pay a full time minister!

wonderingpreacher said...

Wow, Jenny, I didn't know you were out there. I must have preached there last some 35 years ago. How scary is that? Blessings on your ministry.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Thanks Ian.