Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New Words for Calling

I said in a previous post that I was hearing my calling to the ministry in 'new words'.
The first of these new words came about this time last year. I was having a conversation with Ross Olivier (president of the seminary) in his old office at the Texel residence. I can't remember the context of the conversation or what I said, but at one point he said, in some frustration, 'I don't think any of us really know what we are called to.' When one looks at Ross's ministry, which has included all sorts of different things, that statement makes sense - I don't think he even thought of being president of a seminary when he responded to God's call, for instance.

But the words struck a chord with me. The essence of my call is to be used wherever God wants to use me. I know that this is in a church context. I know that I need to preach, lead and probably teach. But beyond that . . . I'm open to the adventure of the unknown.

I think.

No comments: