Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ouk!

I had thought that I should have a go at some Greek exegesis on this blog, seeing as I am putting so much effort into learning the language. However, when I looked at my chosen verse (John 8:58) I struggled.
So here is the meaning of ουκ (ouk) which Terry Pratchett fans will know is very similar to the only word used by the librarian of the university in Ankh-Morpork - ook. I can't read Greek text without being reminded of this librarian because the word occurs quite often. As something of an anticlimax, it simply means 'not'.
In the meantime I will wrestle my limited Greek into submission and try to parse γενεσθαι in order to translate my chosen verse.

2 comments:

Reformed and Renewed said...

The next subject in my studies is greek...any tips for a beginner?

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Tips - yes! Memorise your vocab and new grammar rules every day. And keep going back and consolidating what you learnt previously.
It seems easy to start with but you need to get those habits in place early!