Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Minister's Spouse

I have often said that a minister's spouse has a more difficult calling than a minister. More often than not (in the Methodist Church) they are dragged around the country, forced to give up their job whenever the minister is moved and then expected to find their reason-for-being in the local church in supporting the minister. My husband has avoided the latter expectation so far, simply because we have not been in the same church. Today he came with me to Greytown and preached the sermon, as my colleague who was to take the service was unavailable. The congregation loved him and at tea afterwards he connected with some of the men from the congregation. The whole minister's spouse thing is more complicated when the minister is a woman, but I thought today that my husband managed to get everything just right.

No comments: