Monday, February 13, 2012

Discipline

I am writing my blog now when I have already generated a things to do list for this morning that is over a page long. The list is calling me, I keep thinking of things to add, but the fact of the matter is that I will not survive over the long term if the 'urgent' on my list dominates me. I so easily get overwhelmed in the emotional trauma of the church - I need to make sure that am standing on solid ground. So here is a commitment to blog as close to every day as I can, to remind myself to keep perspective. To remind myself to keep up other daily disciplines - Bible reading and focused prayer as well as work and relaxation. I still haven't figured out how to exercise regularly. Squash doesn't seem to be a Mitchell's Plain thing (someone suggested table tennis!)
I have finished my 'read the Bible in a year' programme that started last year. It took me a little more than a year, but I feel a sense of satisfaction in having completed it. The 'Honest Bible' programme is in a bit of a hiatus as they struggle through trying to do the Mosaic Law in chronological order, so what should I do next? I find that I have become dependent on the discipline of the year programme. Ken Schenck has been translating a verse from the Psalms every day and thus he is my inspiration to translate one verse from the Greek New Testament every day. Not an enormously demanding exercise, but I think one that will be good for me. Last year I read several chapters every day. Now I will be reading one verse every day. It feels spartan. I will try to keep the Greek blog up to date with my daily reading and translation.

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't, the idea is that the usual "priority" assignment of to-do lists is not very useful.

Rather you should classify them into four categories:

1. Important and urgent - do.
2. Important but not urgent - postpone.
3. Urgent but not important - delegate.
4. Neither important nor urgent - scrap, or save for a day when you're bored.

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Thanks Steve. I find these categories become very muddled in ministry. People have such different expectations of the minister - some are disillusioned and so don't expect me to do anything, even if it is important. Others elevate their own wants to urgent. I'm finding that I need to be very sure, for myself, what matters and what I am called to. An interesting journey!