Wednesday, September 12, 2012

When you've got three months

I went to see someone this morning who doctors have given three to six months to live. It is a lady who I have got to know because she has been around at odd places I have visited. Someone who is always willing to help out. But not a big name in the church. And then she was the reason for my first visit at Groote Schuur Hospital. And now she has three months or so.
I really didn't know how I was going to approach the visit - I had no idea of how she might be feeling. It is one thing trying to imagine how one would feel in that situation, another to actually live it.
In the end it wasn't a hard visit because she is absolutely determined that nothing will defeat her. She was in pain, but up and about and planning to live the time she has without fading away. I think she knows that it will be harder than it seems, but she is going to face it.
Life is tough, but God is good.

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

Urban ministry, live and unplugged, as our friend over the hill would say!

Jenny Hillebrand said...

This same lady walked to church on Sunday, was breathing easily and without pain. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself!