Friday, November 30, 2012

To stand . . . or not

My family and I have been in Mitchell's Plain for nearly a year now. I don't think any of us regret the move here or the experiences that we have had. It's been a bit rough for my husband and boys travelling 30 kms to school every day (and then back again), but they have settled in well.
Church has been challenging for me. Especially in the first few months I found myself on the point of giving up time and time again. But I am glad that I have persevered and there have been many, many good times.
Coming to the end of the year I find that I am reflecting on my mistakes and the things that I could have done better. This is quite depressing at times! But I am wondering whether more than anything else I need to learn to stand up for myself more. It seems odd to me to say that maybe I need to buck authority more . . . but perhaps that is my problem - the way I phrase it and perceive it. Is disagreeing strongly with my boss 'bucking authority'? Is refusing to give in when I can't understand his reasoning 'bucking authority'? How hard should I fight for what I believe is right? Or do I wait until I am ordained and just treat everything now as a learning experience? So much to learn still.

No comments: