Friday, May 31, 2013

Getting Out of the Boat

I have been rereading John Ortberg's "If You Want to Walk On Water You've Got to Get Out of the Boat". I was reminded of this book at my pre-ordinands screening where one of the committee members asked me in which areas of ministry I found myself out of the boat - or, am I getting out of my comfort zone? [To which I replied that it is a while since I've seen a comfort zone!]

It amazes me how differently I read books now. I devoured this book this week because I needed the message so much whereas when I first read it I was a little disappointed. I think it all has to do with the level of risk and uncertainty in which I am living now compared to then.
By risk - I don't mean personal danger!

But John Ortberg's challenge to see Jesus 'passing by', to listen to his call and then to take the risk of failure was encouraging this time. And if there wasn't so much else that I want to do with my congregations I would love to do a preaching series on this book - it is very practical and helpful as regards finding one's purpose and meaning in life.

Talking about books, I am enjoying buying my son books for homeschool which I also read. I have recently read Good to Great by Jim Collins, Sometimes There is a Void by Zakes Mda and am nearly finished Quiet by Susan Cain. And the next order to Loot went in yesterday, so more coming!

No comments: