Sunday, June 02, 2013

A Poem from the Holocaust

A discussion about the Documentary Hypothesis with my husband led me to thinking about the poem below. It was part of my Bib Studs course way back when I did my degree. I seem to remember it being presented as an actual happening rather than a poem (so I was a bit miffed when I realised now that it was not actually found in a railway car.) It was part of explaining how Cain and Abel can be seen as anti-xenophobic literature. It was written by someone who spent his formative years in a concentration camp during the second world war. The poem cycled through my mind last night. It is by Don Pagis and you can find other of his poems here. [It is intended to be unfinished. And you can just start the poem again after reading the last line . . .]

Written in Pencil in the Sealed Railway-Car
here in this carload
I am eve
with abel my son
if you see my other son
cain son of man
tell him I

No comments: